Dwarka is a sub city, located in the South West Delhi district of the National Capital Territory of Delhi. It is named after the legendary Dwaraka Kingdom. It is a short distance away from Gurgaon which is a major hub for large corporations in the country and about 10 Kms away from Indira Gandhi International Airport. With the opening up of the Airport Express Line, the travel time from the Dwarka Sector 21 Metro station to Airport is expected to be about 3 minutes.
Some parts of modern day Dwarka historically came under the colony of Pappan Kalan, which are now being developed under the ‘Urban Expansion Projects’ of the Delhi Development Authority. One of the largest residential areas in Asia, it is supposed to have a “Zero Tolerance” policy towards common misuses of land and the transgressions of any existing laws and regulations, such as encroachments, which are frequently thought to be flouted in other parts of Delhi. It is also frequently referred to as the “Model Township” and is also thought to be the most organized and cleanest of all parts of Delhi and nearby townships.
Dwarka also boasts of some the widest and most developed road network for any colony in Delhi and nearby townships. Unlike Gurgaon or Noida, Dwarka has been developed mainly as a residential township which has translated to only few congestion problems faced by its residents every now and then. Dwarka is also known for its higher quality and much better maintained infrastructure like roads etc. which many believe sets it apart from nearby townships.
- The sub-city is located in southwest Delhi in the vicinity of International and Domestic airports.
- It is bounded by NH-8, Outer Ring Road, Najafgarh Road, Pankha Road, and the Rewari railway line.
- West End, Vasant Kunj, Vikas Puri, Najafgarh, Bijwasan, Palam vihar, Vasant Vihar, Janakpuri residential areas and Delhi cantonment are the other major surrounding areas in west/south west Delhi.
- It is at a short distance from Gurgaon.
- A Second Diplomatic enclave, to be developed as part of Dwarka Phase 2 in the near future.
- Dwarka has a robust and well connected road network built to modern specifications to each of its sectors and adjoining areas.
- The sub city is well connected by metro rail with the city center and other major parts of the city by MRTS. The work to connect Dwarka with Connaught Place / ITO is now complete. There are a total of 8 metro stations in Dwarka and two more under construction (the highest for any colony).
- The sub city is now connected through metro rail to Noida (UP) and Anand Vihar.
- The sub city will be connected to the mother city by 4 major roads from all directions.
- If entering from the north, a 45 meter wide road connecting Pankha Road partly by covering Palam drain. Work was completed and the road opened for the public in 2007.
- If entering from the west, a 60 meter wide road connecting Najafgarh Road is constructed.
- If entering from the east, a 45 meter wide road through Cantonment area with a fly-over near Palam. The fly over and road were opened for the public in 2006.
- If entering from the southeast, a 60 meter wide road from NH-8 (with a rail underpass). The road was already constructed.
- A special metro line known as the Airport Express line will also connect Dwarka to the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- Dwarka is expected to be connected to Gurgaon by metro in the near future due to its close proximity to the NCR town.
Population and area
- Population – 1,100,000
- Total area – 5648 ha.
- Area (Phase – I) – 1964 ha.
- Area (Phase – II) – 1996 ha.
- Existing built up – 1688 ha.
- Dwarka project is planned with 29 sectors.
- The land use distribution of Dwarka follows a distinct hierarchical pattern from sub-city level to sector level.
New PIN codes —– Area covered
110075 – Dwarka Sector 1,2,5,6,7,10,11 & 19, Palam Vihar (Near Sec – 6), Amber Hai Village
- Post Office: DWARKA SEC-6 ( SUB OFFICE)
- Post Office: AMBERHAI (BRANCH OFFICE)
110077 – Dwarka Sector 8,9,20,21,22,23,24, 25, 26,27,28 & 29, SPG Complex, Raj Nagar I and II, Puran Nagar, Dev Kunj, Palam Village Extn., Bharthal, Bagdola & Dhul Siras Villages
- Post Office : BAGDOLA (BRANCH OFFICE)
- Post Office: BARTHAL ( BRANCH OFFICE)
- Post Office: DHULSIRAS ( BRANCH OFFICE)
- Post Office: RAJ NAGAR – II ( SUB OFFICE)
110078 – Dwarka Sector 3,4,12,13,14,15,16, 17 & 18, Bharat Vihar, Suraj Vihar, Nand Vihar, Hari Vihar, Kakrola Village
- Post Office: KAKROLA ( BRANCH OFFICE)
- Post Office: N.S.I.T. DWARKA ( SUB OFFICE)